Monday, October 18, 2010

The Mini Show "ANNOUNCE"


 I had 2 phone messages when I returned home that evening. One from my friend Olivia and the other from Ming who is Mini's Brother. I knew it was something bad. I heard the tears in Olivia's voice. Ming was strong and professional, but his message projected urgency.
 They were about to tell me the news that my friend Mini had passed away. See, although she had the biggest loving heart, physically, she was born with a weak one. A new heart transplant saved her life, but brought on complications.
 The phone continued to ring from friends reaching out to each other. I remember sitting in front of my phone, observing the machine as it recorded their messages. Selfishly, for just a moment, I wanted to believe if I didn't acknowledge her death. she was just around doing her errands.
 It's 8 years later. With the support of the California Community Foundation, we have continued to keep Mini alive through her memorial scholarship fund. All of the money we raise goes towards the financial need of students at the Art Center College of Design. And, through the fabulous support of friends, artists and sponsors, we have a charity art show in her honor. The show is a one-night-don't-miss-it event. Participating artists include: Mark Ryden, The Clayton Brothers, Tara McPherson, Andrew Hem, Martha Rich, little me, and many more. You can get all your information here. All artwork will cost no more than $300. Good deal, right? Read up and I will see you there!


"The Mini Show"
One night only. Saturday, October 23, 2010, 8:00-11:00 p.m.
Art Center College of Design / South Campus Gallery
950 South Raymond Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91105
minilai.com/upcoming.html

No comments: